Truly a taste of Italy, Jon and I conjured up romance by making this dish on our first date. (Awwww). Great as a side dish or the main course, I hope it will bring as many good memories to you as it did for us. Or at least a good meal.
What you will need:
1. About 1/3 cup margarine (give or take)
2. Minced garlic (fresh or in a jar)
3. 1 loaf of Italian for French bread
4. 2 large tomatoes
5. 1 large sweet onion
6. 2 tablespoons olive oil
7. Oregano, Basil, Salt, and Pepper (to taste)
8. Vegan mozzarella cheese (optional)
How to do it:
1. Heat oven to Broil
2. Cut bread lengthwise and smear margarine on generously so that the top of the bread is covered evenly. Put bread in the oven for approximately 1 minute. You just want the margarine to melt and the bread to toast slightly. Take out of the oven and set aside.
3. Dice to tomatoes and onion.
4. In a large pan, heat olive oil. Add garlic (however much you like) and sauté. Be careful not to burn it!
5. Shortly after adding the garlic to the oil, add the onions. Stir and heat the onions until they are soft, but not soggy. Add the tomatoes and spices to taste. Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes stirring often. Turn off heat when the tomatoes become softer. You don’t want them to be soggy or lose their skin.
6. Place the tomato/onion mixture on top of the bread. If you want, grate some mozzarella cheese on top as well. Replace back in the oven on Broil for another 2 minutes.
7. Remove, cut, and eat! Mmmm.