Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Lentil and Potato Soup

Whoa! Where has the time gone since my last post? I probably lost track because I haven't had to cook much this week due to me eating my delicious lentil soup leftovers. It's been nice. Here's what happened:

Ingredients:
1 bag dry lentils (whatever color you want)
1 bag frozen Vegetable Soup Mix vegetables
About 5 or 6 small red potatoes
1/2 red onion
3 tbsp minced garlic
2 cans vegetable broth
Spices
Nutritional Yeast (optional)
Water
Cooking spray or olive oil to coat pot

How to:
1. In soup pot, sautee garlic and onion. While they are cooking, chop potatoes.
2. Add frozen vegetables.
3. Add potatoes.
4. Add lentils
5. Add vegetable broth
6. Add water so that all the vegetables are covered.
7. Let boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour (the longer you let it cook, the more flavorful it will be).
8. While soup is simmering, add spices (oregano, salt, pepper, season salt, nutritional yeast). Taste, spice again. I never measure spice, I just start out low and keep adding. It works, believe me.
9. Let simmer longer.
10. Eat.

I LOVE making soups. They are perfect for just throwing whatever in a pot and making it taste good. Again, this recipe has tons of room for flexibility. Adding different veggies or spices can make this a completely different soup. AND the best part is that this makes A TON. About 8 large servings, so approximately enough to get 8 people full one night or get two people full several times over the course of a week.

Oh, and did you know. . .you can freeze soups? Just put them in a ziplock bag and stuff them in the freezer. So, if you're a single person, you can make this for yourself and keep some in the freezer.

Mmmm.

No comments: