-1 package (8-12oz) tempeh
-2 cups uncooked pasta noodles (bowties or shells are recommended)
-1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce (make sure you check the label, a lot of these have anchovies in them)
-1/2 cup nutritional yeast
-1/4 cup margarine
-1/4 cup flour
-1 3/4 cups water
-2 tbsp soy sauce
-1 tsp salt
-1 tsp garlic powder
-1/2 tsp turmeric
-1 can diced tomatoes
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a large sauce pan, bring water to a boil. When boiling, place tempeh in the water. This helps it to absorb flavor later. Boil tempeh for about 7 minutes. Remove tempeh and boil pasta until al dente.
3. After tempeh is boiled, place it in a shallow dish with the Worcestershire sauce. Add garlic powder, salt, and black pepper as desired.
4. In a small sauce pan, melt margarine over medium heat. When margarine is melted, add flour and stir. Add the 1 and 3/4 cup water and stir well. Add spices (salt, garlic powder, and turmeric) and soy sauce.
5. Add nutritional yeast and stir until sauce is thick.
6. In a glass baking dish, crumble up the tempeh in the bottom of the dish.
7. Open and drain tomatoes. Pour them out evenly over the tempeh.
8. Add pasta over tomatoes. Top with nutritional yeast sauce.
9. Bake for about 30 minutes. If desired, you can add bread crumbs for a crunchier topping.
You can play around with this and add whatever you think you would like. Jon and I made this but added Italian cut green beans. We weren't crazy about them but it wasn't bad either. I might try this with potatoes or broccoli in the future. I'll let you know how it turns out.