This is borrowed from 150 Vegan Favorites. Super simple and really tasty. We added about doubt the spices (because that's how we roll), but play around with it yourself to find a level of spiciness that you're comfortable with. This recipe was even better the next day when I ate the leftovers for lunch. The longer you let the spices seep into the lentils and potatoes, the happier you'll be. Feel free to let these lentils sit on the stove on warm for an hour before eating.
-1 tbsp canola oil
-1 large onion, chopped
-3-4 cloves minced garlic
-1 large tomato, diced
-1tbsp curry powder
-1/2 tsp cumin
-1/2 tsp black pepper
-1/4 tsp turmeric
-1 cup green lentils
-4 1/2 cups water
-2 cups diced potatoes
-1/2 tsp salt
1. In saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
2. Add onion and garlic. Sautee for about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in tomato, curry powder, pepper, and turmeric and cook for 1 minute.
4. Stir in lentils and water and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes.
5. Stir in potatoes and cook until potatoes and lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
6. Stir in salt, let stand for at least 5-10 minutes before eating.