Straight out of grandma's kitchen. Thanks to The Garden of Vegan for the biscuit recipe.
- 1 package of your favorite soy sausage. (I prefer Lightlife Smart Ground, Sausage Style)
- 3 cups plain soymilk
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
-2 tbsp canola or olive oil
-1/4 cup flour
- 1 tbsp seasoned salt
-black pepper to taste
-2 cups flour
-3tsp baking powder
-1 tsp salt
-1/4 cup margarine
-3/4 cup soymilk
To make biscuits:
1. Preheat oven to 475.
2. In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Add margarine and incorporate into the flour.
3. Add soymilk, 1/4 cup at a time, and gently knead dough together.
4. Once kneaded, separate dough into balls or rectangles, whatever shape you want them to be.
5. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes.
To make gravy:
1.In a frying pan, heat oil over medium heat.
2. Add onions and sautee until they start to get soft, no more than 5 minutes.
3. Add soy sausage and stir until crumbled.
4. Add flour to pan and stir until sausage and onions is well coated.
5. Add soymilk, 1 cup at a time. Heat until the gravy thickens up, stirring often.
6. Add seasoned salt and pepper. Taste and add more spices if you like.
7. Top biscuits with gravy and enjoy!
Like most of my other recipes, this one is flexible. I have heard of people adding mushrooms, garlic, or green peppers to the gravy to give it a twist. All three sound delicious!